Strange Dees, Indeed is a great CD for any parent who likes fun, folksy, rock-a-delic tunes that teach lessons. This disc is great for teachers in grades 3rd and up who are teaching History lessons in an overstuffed classroom and need a way to get the kids attention!
Here is what you get on the CD:
- Ah Ahimsa: Make peace-not war with this catchy tune complete with a history lesson on Gandhi.
- Cool Papa Bell: Still not so sure about what this song is about...but I do know that I love the beat of it! Had the kids headbanging in their carseats (they thought it was about their "Papa")!
- A Song For Abigail Adams: A sweet love song about John and Abigail Adams writing letters to each other.
- The Golem: A fun Greek-sounding song that will have you kids up and stomping around like The Golem! Loved the kids talking about "what they would make their Golem do."
- Marie Curie: A French tune about Ms. Curie and her suitcase of radium. Funny song, with great lyrics and a some French thrown in!
- Sojourner Truth: A bluesy song about the journey of Sojourner Truth.
- River of Blood: A science lesson about our bodies and the important job blood plays in keeping it ticking!
- Penny Farthing: A crazy song about...hm, a carriage, a plow? Hahaha, just looked it up and now I get it! Fun little song you might want to Google too.
- Mayor LaGuardia's Stomach: Grandma tells the tale of running straight into the Mayor's stomach! Funny tale...funny lady.
- Sacagawea (and Disco Addendum): Rock out to this crazy song about Sacagawea! Sure to catch your student's attention with a history lesson they won't even realize they are learning. Stick around for the Disco mix that will have them jumping around the room.
- Camperdown Elm: A good one for the kiddos to sing along to about the Elm in the Brooklyn Burroughs.
- Birds of America Don't Care-Oh: A fast indie-rock song that might just get your kids whistling like a warbler?!
- Whaleship Essex: The story of the sinking of The Essex, due to crashing into a giant whale, and the disastrous journey of the crew to find land.
- Skating in Old Bryant Park: An upbeat tale about enjoying the day skating in the park.
- Phineas Gage Has Something to Tell These People: Ouch! A rap song about a slave worker who got a rod shot through his head working on the railroad, and survived to be a circus act! 5th grade boys will love this one!
- Dead Horse Bay: My kids had a fun time hopping, stopping, and playing around to this upbeat song! The things he found in Dead Horse Bay...not so much fun.
- Henry (Hudson), How Ya Gonna Find a Way?": The story of Henry Hudson and his impact on New York City.
- Bluebird>Redbird, Redbird>Reef: I liked this song about birds flying over New York City, and thought it was a perfect way to end the album on a slower note.