Reading Kingdom Website.
- "It customizes itself to each child" (I liked the series of tests it gave LoLo to see what reading level he was at, but they were a little long for a 4 year old)
- "Most children can do the program on their own after just a few weeks" (LoLo could do it after I showed him one time!)
- "It's fun and children enjoy doing it" (LoLo REALLY enjoyed it and would beg to play it)
- "It's created by Dr. Marion Blank, one of the world's top experts in literacy"
- "It works with any other curriculum a child may be using" (we use it in conjunction with our phonics lessons)
- "And, it's the only system that teaches all 6 skills needed for reading & writing success!" (which are: sequencing, motor skills, sounds, meaning, grammar, comprehension)
We are still working our way through the entire program (after a few weeks) and will make sure to include an update when we complete it. I like that there are so many portions to this program so I can continue to use it throughout the school year (makes it worth the yearly cost). There are many different stages in which it will re-assess LoLo, so if he excels of falls behind it will adjust the curriculum.
The only negative I have about this program is that the introduction to reading and writing section is a little too long and repetitive with the pre-reading assessments. LoLo lost interest after a few assessments and I had to encourage him to continue; however, once he got to the next section he enjoyed it even more. After all, what kid really likes doing tests anyways?!
I would recommend this program to anyone who has a very young reader, or who has a child who is struggling to read in first or second grade. Though the content is recommended for ages up to 10, I feel that the graphics and process might be to "young" for an older child.
Have you ever tried this program? If so, leave me a comment-I want to hear what you have to say!
Questions about the program? Leave me a comment and I will get back to you with an answer.
Disclosure: I received a free year trial of this program to facilitate this review. All words and opinions are my own unless specifically referenced.