In our happy little family of 5, we have 5 people with eczema. No fun! We all have pretty mild cases with some bumps on our arms, knees, and occasional red spots that pop up every now and then. I was really hoping that my kids would not get it, but no such luck. This being the case, I am extremely careful about what I put on their bodies. So when I was asked to review Skin MD's Shielding Lotion, I knew I had to look into the ingredients before I decided to try it out.
On their skin care website they mention that:
- "The manufacturer's website www.skinmdnatural.com has hundreds of dermatologist and user reviews including many addressing severe dry skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis. "
- "People with sensitive skin -- and those of us who like to live as naturally as possible -- will appreciate that Skin MD Natural is hypoallergenic, free of fragrances, parabens and colorants."
- "It is made with more than 90% natural ingredients and 100% food-grade ingredients that are on the FDA's "most safe" list."
Previously, we were using Cetaphil Lotion on the kids after bath, and while it was mild enough, it did not get rid of the eczema bumps. The first night we tried this shielding lotion I was amazed at the results the next morning. The kid's skin felt noticeable softer, and the bumps were less red looking. I gave it a try for one week and each morning could see a difference. Now the bumps are barely noticeable and there is absolutely no red. I also liked how it made my poor over-washed hands smooth and soft. I even noticed that after doing dishes they would still feel smooth.
I feel like the product name is very appropriate in that it seems to create an invisible barrier to protect the skin. It didn't go on like a lotion, but absorbed completely into the skin and moisturized.
They call it a shielding lotion because it works in two ways:
- "First, it assists the inner layers of skin to absorb moisture. The humectant (an ingredient that attracts moisture) used in Skin MD Natural is unique to it and has been laboratory tested to be 6 times more effective than any other you will find in common creams."
- "Second, a shielding lotion enhances the power of the top layer of the skin to resist environmental irritants while protecting the inner natural moisture."
PS- I would have included pictures, but my poor little camera could not capture the eczema bumps!
*I was given a sample of this product for review purposes. All opinions and views are my own.