After the birth of my third child I knew I wanted to take a break for awhile (like 3-4 years) before we had number 4 (yes, we are crazy..and yes, we want to have a big family)! I considered many different forms of birth control, and was very stressed over it as well. I had used birth control pills before I had children, and found that I was extremely sensitive to them (especially those containing estrogen). I switched to pills that were progesterone only, and while they were better, I still had unwanted symptoms: strong cramps, depression with hormone changes, anxiety. I decided later after the birth of my second child that my husband and I would just use condoms, and that worked great for us until we decided to try for number three. Before I could say "fertile," we were pregnant with number three! Hooray. So, I can not say what posessed me to decided to try a new form of birth control. I guess I just wanted the ease of an IUD, and I had read all about Mirena and loved what I heard. I also asked around and had it highly recommended. One very close friend even told me that she didn't notice any side effects, and after about 8 months she didn't even get periods anymore.
I decided to give it a try in August 2010. The implantation procedure was very fast and pretty painless-not any worse than a pap-smear. I had a lot of spotting right away, and knew that was common, but six months later there were many side effects I was having that were NOT normal (at least not from what I had read):
- Complete loss of breast milk! (I was told by doctors that this would not happen!) Within weeks I lost all of my milk, which was extremely sad (and expensive) since my baby was only 3.5 months old and I had planned to breast feed for 1 year!
- Spotting multiple times a month (I couldn't even keep track of periods)
- Severe mood swings with hormone changes (depression, anxiety, severe 'bitchiness')
- Fat around my mid-section that would not go away with dieting and excercise for 6 months (eventhough the rest of me was getting skinny)
- Facial acne like I have NEVER had in my life (even in my teens I had pretty clear skin)
*Please understand that this is just MY experience with Mirena. I wish I had read more about people's personal experiences with the IUD before I got it. I feel like the brochure did not cover any of the symptoms I was having, and it would have been nice to have a wider range of opinions. After all, is the Mirena brochure really going to tell you actual opinions of their users (especially if they are negative)?
Here are some links to more opinions on Mirena:
I want to hear from you. Did you have problems with the Mirena IUD? Do you love it? Want to know more about my experience? Leave me a comment.